Monday, October 12, 2009

reading

This weekend I began reading to my little one. I rummaged through a box of children's books trying to find the perfect selection. Something gender neutral. Something that inspired creativity and a sense of adventure. Something I would be proud to tell him ten years from now was our first book. I chose The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. Like Chris said, "Might as well start with an American master." I might have chosen Charlotte's Web, but didn't have a copy.

Of course, I don't know when this little one can actually hear. And, in truth, there's little research out there that has pinned down an actual date. But it's the principle really. I hope my child has the same love for books that we do. And I want him to have permission to dream big, reach high, take risks, explore nature, build forts, create worlds; and where better to learn how to do those things than through the pages of books.

Now I know my little peanut will probably enjoy mud, and soccer balls, and tonka trucks (yes, even if she's a girl) more than books. Isn't that much more in line with the natural order of things? But that's okay too. I am game for whatever life she has in store for us. But right now, while she's floating in this tiny world custom-made by me for her...I think we'll read.

No comments:

Post a Comment