Thursday, January 14, 2010

staying at home

We always knew if we started a family, Chris would be the one who could most easily adjust his life and career to "stay at home." After all, I am the nine to fiver. The one whose job comes with the better health insurance and retirement plan.

One of my girlfriends asked me the other night if I was envious, and of course I am. I'm envious that Chris will have hours and days to memorize our little boy's face, study his movements, learn his likes and dislikes. And honestly, I worry that our little one will like daddy better because he knows daddy better. But I also trust that Chris will keep me in our son's life, even while I'm away. And let me say this, there is no one more suited for this job than my husband. Not only is he smart and compassionate, but over the months he has devoured everything there is to know about child-care and parenting. He's approached this role like any other, with a beautiful combination of passion and precision.

I just hope I can breast-feed, because it will give my baby and I something that is "just ours." And I love the idea of coming home at the end of the day, giving Chris some much needed reprieve while I spend time with our son - feeding, bathing and reading to him before he goes to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment