Friday, March 26, 2010

he's here

It has been some time since my last post. But, as many of my readers know, I have an excellent excuse; last week, Chris and I welcomed our son into the world. I'm not sure where to begin with this first entry - there is so much to tell. My "birth story" would probably make the most sense, but I have to admit - those hours in the hospital are already part of the distant past. I had always heard that you "forget" the pain though I never fully understood what that meant until now. In my experience, it's not that the pain is forgotten - I remember quite well what I was going through when this intended "medication free mama" asked for an epidural - but it just has such little importance in the big scheme of things.

I had written in a previous post, that I felt far too much attention was spent preparing for the "birth experience." There are books, movies and classes on the topic. And now, on the other side of that experience, I have to say it again; the birth, though remarkable in its own right, is little more than a flutter of a blink in what I imagine motherhood is actually about.

So now, it's time to start thinking about what's next. I have almost three months to recover and connect with my new family. I imagine that over these months - the focus of this blog will dramatically change. It will focus on those things that all mothers face: diapering, nursing, doctors' appointments, weight loss. There will also be some time spent on balancing parental leave with work obligations; both real and perceived. And finally - I will write about the unique trials associated with being a new mother in the New York Metropolitan area; sans doorman, sans car service, sans nanny.

I hope that you keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment