Wednesday, June 23, 2010

sleeping

Everyone asks if I'm sleep deprived, and interestingly enough - I'm not. Even after a night where getting the little guy (who I will begin calling "Turtle" for the sake of this blog) to sleep was near impossible, once we were finally down the rest of the night was fairly smooth.

It all became easier once we realized that it was okay to bring him into our bed. The getting up three or four times every night would start to wreck havoc on my sanity, especially now that I'm back at work. But with a co-sleeper (we have a snuggle nest which literally goes in the bed with us) there is no reason for the up and down mentality. And as a result we all are getting a much better night's rest.

In fact, if you do the math I'm probably getting more sleep now than I did before Turtle was born. If you remember, I was suffering from pregnancy-induced insomnia - and would often wake at 3:00 in the morning, unable to fall back asleep. Now, I still wake up at 3:00, give Turtle his second snack of the night, then we're both back to sleep until morning. Also of note: I'm in the nursery settling Turtle down by 9:30 or 10:00 which means I'm away from the computer and the television and more likely to rest soundly as well.

So the question is- what about his crib? Well, we're aiming for him to take most naps in his crib. And I think, though Chris is really the expert given that he's at home during the day- Turtle naps at around 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Truth is some days are more successful than others. The little guy loves to be in his carrier, snuggled up against mine or Chris' heartbeat and if we're out and about - we're perfectly happy to have him catch some Zs on the road.

Will we sleep train? I'm refraining from calling it "training," but yes we are going to start a new routine in a few months. At about 51/2 months, once Turtle begins eating solids and having longer stretches of sleep, we're going to work on his spending the entire night in his crib. In fact, 5 1/2 - 7 months is an ideal time for introducing a new sleep routine because children are less likely to suffer from separation anxiety - which really hits between 7 and 9 months (or so the experts say).

I'm not sure what to expect during that time.I suppose all I can say is check in mid-August to see how we're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment