Tuesday, September 28, 2010

apple adventure

About a month ago I said to Chris, "let's celebrate our anniversary at the apple orchard." We had enjoyed apple-picking a couple years back and I wanted to do it again, only with the turtle in tow. I figured not only would we head home with bushels of local apples, but it would be nice to get out of the city for a few hours - see the fall colors. Get some fresh air.

So, yesterday was the big day and we woke up to rain. Lots and lots of rain. But we had already rented a great little car (I don't know what New Yorkers did before Zip Car), I had taken the day off work, and we were all hungry for an adventure so we headed north anyway to see where the day would take us.

It was perfect. We spent some time on the West Point campus - a beautiful spot, nestled in the mountains. As always, I was hit with a tiny little wave of regret. Yes, this lefty wishes she had gone to a military academy. Crazy right? I have my reasons. Another post for another day. But in short; the physical, academic and personal discipline that serve as the pillars of an academy education are enviable. And I, being the education nerd I am, loved reading about everything from their honor code, to a cadet's first few days on campus.

After our visit to the Academy (which included a fair amount of time in the gift store looking for something for the turtle that didn't say "Beat Navy!" - Chris wouldn't have it), we had lunch across the street from the campus. And, huge milestone, the turtle sat in his first restaurant high chair. It was a little big for him, but with a blanket and Chris' fleece we were able to fit it to size.

Following lunch was the first of two melt-downs, both which led to Chris pulling over so I could get in the back seat with the turtle. Unlike a suburban baby, it's rare that the turtle is by himself, strapped in his car seat, in the backseat of a car. I think it was confusing to him - hearing our voices, but not seeing where we were. My joining him helped a little.

We did eventually make it to the orchard but, as we expected, they had closed it to the public. So instead we roamed around the farm's market, ate pumpkin ice-cream and apple-spice donuts and headed home with bushels of already picked fruit. It was a great fall "kick-off" adventure.

1 comment:

  1. I LOOOOVE apple spice donuts! We should go to the Union Square Farmer's market one of these days and get some!

    _ Piper

    ReplyDelete