Friday, September 3, 2010

a series of chores

Our life has become a series of chores. On a typical day, I get home from work between 5:30 and 5:45. I change, wash up, then take the turtle (usually in the middle of a cat nap) from his dad. Chris makes dinner while I spend some quality time with my little guy. Chris and I have something to eat, then the turtle's evening routine begins: a bath (sometimes), a massage, pjs, and a story. Eventually, we all manage to relax. It's rare that we don't watch Keith Olberman or stream something on Netflix. Occasionally we'll read. But, before long the turtle and I are both in bed, resting up for the day ahead.

The thing is, despite the endless loads of laundry and the constant clutter, I find a great deal of satisfaction in each little accomplishment; the bills are paid, the clothes are folded, the toys are put away. It gives purpose and meaning to our every day. And in fact, I discover moments of joy and enlightenment in the mundane, more so than I ever have in the extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment