Thursday, September 30, 2010

staying healthy

In the last few weeks, I have become preoccupied with Chris' and my health. We waited almost thirteen years after, "I do" to start a family.  I think in most cases our, shall we call it "maturity", is to our benefit. During the decade and change that Chris and I were together sans the turtle we traveled, focused on career, took personal and professional risks - all things that may have been more difficult had we had children. We also had time to build a strong partnership, one that I think can stand a few inevitable bumps and bruises now that there's a new priority in each of our lives. All of that said starting a family in your mid to late thirties has its drawbacks as well. The most significant being that you don't or at least won't have the body of your youth to accompany you during your family's growth. That's not to say that Chris and I are decrepit. Far from it. In fact I would argue that I have been healthier and more active in the last ten years than I ever was as a teenager. But, as I've said before, we're far from what you'd call "young parents."

I also expect that having had two people in my life - both under forty - die within the past year has been a wake-up call. I am reminded that our bodies are fragile; and we must do all that we can to keep them safe and strong. Because I want Chris and I to chase our turtle around the playground. I want to be alongside him as he explores cities and climbs mountains. Being and staying healthy is no longer a vanity move. It's about being present for my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment