Tuesday, October 12, 2010

getting there

Yesterday was a near perfect day. Originally planning at trip to SOHO, we changed our minds and decided to stay close to home. We watched a couple of documentaries, I spent the day playing and cuddling with the turtle and Chris made a sage and apple pie.

The day at home did wonders for my little man's routine. We still have some work to do but we're getting there. Chris and I are finally on the same page when it comes to the 1/2/3 approach. Because I was exclusively breast-feeding the turtle for a few months, I got into the habit of "nursing him down." But when I went back to work, and we started to bottle-feed we saw that our little guy takes to the bottle differently. At times, he's almost frantic, attacking it with unmatched determination. Needless to say, bottle-feeding alone rarely leads to peaceful rest. So, Chris moved into a 1/2/3: Eat/Activity/Sleep routine - which works much better. And, for the first time, I was mindful of that routine even while nursing.

As a result, naps are looking good. we can easily move our little guy from a set of arms to the crib. He self-soothes when necessary and he tends to wake up happy and well-rested. Nights are proving a little more difficult. But like I said, we're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment