Saturday, November 6, 2010

sweet yoga fridays

Since returning to work I've managed to take the occasional Friday off to create a three-day weekend. And I must say, this above all else has made my new working mom role bearable. It wasn't necessarily the plan, but the turtle and I fell in love with our mommy and me yoga class which meets on Friday at noon - and though I'm counting down the days to my four-day work week summer, in the interim I had to find a way to make time for the occasional class.

So someone might ask with all of the expenses associated with having a little one, why pay for play time? And I get it. But I find the class gives me a 60-90 minute period to do nothing but focus on the turtle's and my well-being. There are no distractions. No TV, no computer, no cell phone. Just us and other mommy (sometime daddy) and baby pairs in a clean uncluttered room. And we have  blast. We bounce, stretch, and make funny sounds. And as someone who aims to be a "serious" yoga practitioner, the class serves as a good reminder not to take my yoga practice, or my life for that matter, so seriously. I mean how can you when you're mooing and meowing your way through sequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment