Tuesday, December 21, 2010

sleepless nights and no tooth in sight

What do sleep and the turtle's teeth have in common? Right now we're seeing little of either. The last two nights have been rough. The turtle just can't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours at a time - and when he wakes, he's not fully waking but rather, with eyes closed, he thrashes from side to side while either crying or whimpering. When I pick him up he rubs his mouth against my shoulder, I assume in an attempt to relieve some of his discomfort. And, at least so far, there's not a tooth in sight.

Some would say, just let him cry. And, who am I to judge any one's parenting style - I'm just taking it a day at a time myself - but "cry it out" just isn't how Chris and I are doing things. I suppose we have the luxury of attentive night caring because a) we're co-parenting, meaning we literally tag team our way through the hours and b) sleepless nights are an anomaly.  That said, it doesn't make them any easier.

So teething. Any tricks to getting those little pearly whites to break through? We've heard reports that two of the turtle's friends (6 mos and 9 mos.) have their first choppers but I fear we're weeks? months? away. Suggestions welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. Hyland's Teething Tablets, freezing the corner of a washcloth for Turtle to chew, and lots of cuddles. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Angie! Shiloh has been having some really rough nights. Here's to patience, patience and more patience.

    ReplyDelete