Monday, February 7, 2011

food tales

Feeding a 10 almost 11 month old is  a riot. No seriously, it's the most fun I've had in the kitchen ever. I keep saying, "I may not be much of a cook, but I can whip up a mean batch of baby food." And it's true: Sweet Potatoes, Banana and Pears, Apple, Oats and Cinnamon, Carrots and Ginger. But it's also just fun to see the turtle experience table food for the first time. He's eaten: noodles, pork, beans, mushrooms, hummus, red peppers, eggs, avocado, broccoli, mango and blueberries.

And being conscientious about what's going in his little body has reminded Chris and I that we need to be conscientious about what's going into our own. It's also helped me think about when and how we eat (i.e. dinner around the table). These are simple things that I'm sure many families already have built into the fabric of their day to day, but Chris and I had been married for years before the turtle's birth and between career ambitions, degree pursuits, acting gigs etc. we hadn't really developed a meal routine. We often ate at home, thanks to Chris' kitchen magic, but we sometimes ate late, or in shifts, or on the run. And there were months at a time when Chris was in an out-of-town show, where I survived on nothing but apples, granola and yogurt.

So needless to say, this new approach to food and meal planning is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment