Wednesday, March 2, 2011

work-life balance

He slept all day Monday, but yesterday the turtle's energy had returned and aside from a few whimpers and minor meltdowns he was back to his old self. All of that said, I'm glad I took the extra day off work, I just wouldn't have felt good about leaving my little guy the day after surgery. I know, I know...Chris is at home...but even so my first job is being a mom.

Which is probably why I'm having such a hard time this morning. It never fails, whether it's Monday or the first day after a long weekend getting to the office is brutal. And it has little to do with the nature of my job or the people I work with...but looking at a packed schedule and two "late nights" in a row is discouraging.

I recently read that 60% of workers are in a position where they can request a flexible schedule (i.e. 8:00 - 4:00 or 7:00 - 3:00). Around 30% of workers could ask for a non-traditional work schedule (i.e. Monday-Thursday 7:00-7:00) and around 15% of workers are in a position to work from home at least part of the week. Unfortunately, I don't fit into any of those categories. I had proposed working through lunch a couple of days a week so I could leave at 4:00 but given that I'm part of a large team, many of which would appreciate more flexible work schedules, accommodations aren't really an option. And, I get that. But as I look forward to my spring schedule full of late nights and weekends, I cringe at the anticipated time away from my son.

Please don't get me wrong. In this trying economy, I am so happy to have not only a job, but I job I genuinely enjoy. But finding the right work-life balance is a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment