Wednesday, April 6, 2011

someday he'll say, "i hate you."

I know that some day, the turtle is going to say, "I hate you."  I know that some day I'm going to say something, do something, or be somebody that is an embarrassment. Not on purpose. Quite the contrary. I expect I will do all that I can to make my son as proud of me as I am of him. But I'll screw up. After all, I'm human and I'm bound to make mistakes.

I also know that someday I'll do something, say something, or be somebody that my son won't like. On purpose. After all, I need to keep him safe. I need to do all that I can to lay the foundation and open the doors to a good life. Yes, I'll make him eat his vegetables, play outside, do his homework, read books, write thank you notes, go to bed on time. I'll know his friends. Limit his gaming. Monitor his web browsing. And yes, all of this might make him angry. He'll say, "I hate you mom." But I think I can live with that for a little while anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment