Monday, July 18, 2011

peanut butter and carrot sandwiches

One thing is clear; my becoming a mom has done nothing for my cooking skills. There's a little part of me that is thinking I might start making my way through Baking with Julia. But I'm sure the exercise will become more of a chemistry than a culinary project (I'm imagining lots of dust and explosions - Hogwarts style.)

Despite my failure in the kitchen, I'm quite good at weekend lunches and have some fairly creative combinations. We, of course, aim to provide the turtle with a well-balanced diet which means plenty of vegetables, fruit, grains and protein. And one thing I've learned is that you can add just about anything to a peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwich. Seriously. One day, when the turtle was acting uninterested in his lunch, I julienned  carrots and lay the pretty little ribbons on a peanut butter sandwich. The combination was a hit! Another day, after making far too many lentils for dinner the night before, I added the left overs to a grilled cheese.

The turtle is a great eater. He loves his Phil and Ted's MeToo High Chair. We've made a point of sitting around the table for breakfast and dinner. And fortunately Chris does most of the meal planning. But, I've good a couple of ideas up my sleeve for the next time I'm in charge: homemade beet ice-cream anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment