Sunday, August 7, 2011

bringing you up to speed

It's obviously been a long time since my last post. I could give you my list of excuses - though they are the same excuses I always give. So, why waste your time. Instead, I thought I would bring you up to speed.

The Turtle: He walks. He talks. He dances. He brushes his teeth (all eight of them). He pats one's back as if saying "good job." And throws a kiss with every hello. We have started a very slow - no stress introduction to potty training. We would probably try the diaper free thing, if we had a backyard where clean-ups were easy. Obviously not an option. Even so we're trying to integrate the theory of elimination communication into our approach. Paying attention to the turtle's cues. Trying to gauge the times of day he most likely needs to go. Building in a reward system. We've had hits and misses. But we're trying to introduce the process gradually - and, if possible, avoid forcing the issue.

Dada: Chris and his writing partner's short film is in the midst of a robust festival run with screenings in Palm Springs, Vancouver, Sedona, Ashland and Washington D.C. and their feature project has launched with an expected film date sometime next spring. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that I'm much more of a writer's wife than an actor's wife...but between you me and the small world that is the "TheActorsWife" audience, I prefer it.

Mama:I spent the last week certifying as a Meyer-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) practitioner. I hope to utilize the practice in my current work with students, but hope to eventually fold it into outside projects as well. I feel like the last week has been a real eye-opener. I tend to have a very limited view of my career options, but spending the week with a group of young, ambitious, creative professionals many who are independent and successful made me realize that, in fact, there's a lot more on the table. I just need to give myself the freedom and the time to see what's in front of me.

One final note, Chris and I had an honest to goodness date night on Thursday. My niece and mother-in-law were in town and offered to turtle-sit so we could get out of the house. We've made it to a movie here and there, but we haven't really done the get dressed up and hit the town kind of thing since our little guy was born a year and half ago. So, Chris met me in the city and we went to Bobby' Flay's Bar Americain, before seeing Jerusalem on Broadway. The husband was gorgeous, the food was amazing and the play was, well there are no words to describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment