Thursday, September 1, 2011

going green

I am becoming more and more fascinated with green and organic living. As my readers know, my mantra is "simplify, simplify, simplify." Of course, it's not something I always do - at least not with the ease and grace to which I aspire. Nonetheless, simple things (simple needs, simple space, simple meals, simple wardrobe, simple routine) lead to peace and contentment - at least for me.

So how does this line up with green and organic living? Well, I've been reading the blogs and journals of full-time families; many of which strive to create a sustainable lifestyle. Even those who spend their days exploring the US in their RVs (i.e. TheOrganicSister and Walk Slowly, Live Wildly) often power their vehicles with vegetable oil and solar panels. And though it takes a lot of work on the front end, I do think that  green efforts, such as gardening, composts, recycling, whole food diets etc. contribute to a "simpler" and more peaceful existence.

An example: all of NYC was preparing for Hurricane Irene last week. As such, half the city was at their local market stocking up on bottled water. But, Chris and I were lucky. We have a water filter and a recycling bin. The latter which is full of at least two if not more one-gallon milk jugs at a time. We retrieved the empty milk jugs, filled them with filtered water and called it good. Simple. Frugal. And met our needs.

As I look forward to the coming year, there are others steps I want to take to simplify our daily routine and, I hope, decrease our "ecological footprint."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...