Wednesday, September 7, 2011

living in the now

Robert Thurman on Buddhism is streaming on Netflix and I'm re-reading Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple. I'm not Buddhist, but I've always been fascinated by Buddhism. More than any religion it gives its faithful an opportunity to live in the here and now rather than focus on beginnings and ends. And if there's one thing I've learned in my short time as a parent it's that the "now" is all I have time and energy for. Sure I have to be concerned with insurance, paychecks, and career moves. But truly, my attention is more likely on meals, diaper changes, and bedtime stories. Likewise, if salvation is our sole focus we are apt to overlook actual moments of present grace. Because yes I find grace, true grace, in nature, food, art, family and friends. And it is in these moments where I accept suffering rather than escape it. And in these moments that I feel closest to something greater than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment