Friday, February 17, 2012

the turtle's sense of humor

Every night while I'm getting the turtle ready for bed I recite what I call a "poem." It's actually the words from a board book that my mum gave us either right before or after he was born. It's a sweet little story about baby animals that get hugs from their mommies and daddies when settling down for the night.

Before reciting the poem, the turtle and I have the same dialogue. It's part of our bedtime ritual.

Me: "Shall I tell you a poem?"
Turtle: "uuummmm" (because he has to think through everything) "uh huh."
Me: "What's the poem about?"
Turtle: "A bear."
Me: "That's right and what does the bear have a hard time doing?"
Turtle: "Sleeping."
Me: "So his mommy tells him a story. And what's that story about?"
Turtle: "Hugs!"
Me: "That's right." And then I recite the poem.

But over the last two nights this is has been the conversation....


Me: "Shall I tell you a poem?"
Turtle: "uuummmm....uh huh"
Me: "What's the poem about?"
Turtle: "A bear." He says, with an unexpected grin.
Me: "That's right and what does the bear have a hard time doing?"
Turtle: "Sleeping." His grin gets a little bigger and there's a mischievous look in his eye.
Me: "So his mommy tells him a story. And what's that story about?"
Turtle: "Spiders!"
Me: "What?! Nnnnoo, what's the story about?"
Turtle: "Spiders!" And he laughs and laughs and laughs.

My little guy has a sense of humor. How awesome is that?

2 comments:

  1. The discovery of a new trait how awesome is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abbie. It's such a fun age. Just when I start to mourn the passing of one stage I am charmed by whatever's next.

    ReplyDelete