Thursday, January 29, 2015

what a kid loves

Today I met Chris and the turtle after his first theatre class. Turtle is in an "Early Stages" program at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. I've been a bit anxious about the class. See, the turtle adores theatre. In fact, I tell folks he loves superheroes and showtunes in equal measure - and it's true. One might assume that it's Chris' and my doing, but Chris isn't a musical theatre actor. In fact he might tell you that the musicals on his "like list" are few and far between. Now, of course, I love a good musical, but then again I generally love music. It's a huge part of our home-life. Chris and I are both musicians, our instruments are out and accessible, we play while preparing meals and in between activities. And when we're not playing ourselves, there's usually music coming from the stereo. But, showtunes are a rare occurrence. It was the turtle who found the Wicked soundtrack in a box full of old CDs. A CD he has since memorized, along with the soundtracks to Into the Woods and Little Shop of Horrors. So, I was a little worried that theatre class might not live up to his expectations. Fortunately, there was no need to be concerned. He skipped out of class this afternoon like he had just spent the day at Disneyland.

It's funny how kids know what they love. My turtle tolerates T-ball and Soccer and sort of humhaws his way through crafts and coloring projects. But when he discovers something he loves, his light fills the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment